Wednesday, March 3, 2010

WEEK 8

Comments for Kids Week 8

I commented on an elementary student named Linda who lives in Phoenix, Arizona. Her blog was mainly what she enjoyed doing in her free time. She enjoyed skateboarding, and having fun with her friends. I commented that I had a daughter her age and I hope to read her blog in the future.

ALEX

Alex is the Alabama Learning Exchange, (Alex). This is a very informative site that has sections on Alabama courses of study, web links, lesson plans, personal workspace, professional learning, and a podcast treasury. Alex provides resources for parents, students, teachers, administrators, and anyone in the field of education. It is a one stop shop for educators.

The goal is for Alabama's students to reap the benefits of other educators sharing their wealth of expertise as educators with all of their colleagues. This site is something I would definitely use in the future as a teacher. It has a lot of information especially for someone who is just starting out teaching.

ACCESS


Access is the Alabama distance learning initiative. This program was launched on November 1, 2004 by Governor Bob Riley. It provides students with the education necessary to be successful. Students now have the opportunity to take advanced placements courses and additional course electives through a statewide network.

I really didn't know that this program was available and so successful. Students are able to take classes that they would have never been able to with really qualified instructors. This almost reminds me of Itunes U. Obviously this program has been really successful because the enrollment has gone from 425 students enrolled in fall 2005 to 4500 students and 42 different courses.


Randy Pausch: The Last Lecture

I really didn't want to watch this speech again because I find it really sad. This is a speech from Randy Pausch who was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and this is the backdrop for his last speech at Carnegie Mellon University. He makes everyone feel more comfortable by introducing his cancer as the "Elephant" in the room. He is really inspiring he never let his illness get him down, instead he accepted it and decided to make the most out of every second he had left.

I like the quote " We can't change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand" This video blew up on Youtube and was such an inspiration that a book was written on his lecture. He reminded me in his lecture what was important in life instead of worrying about trivial things. You could tell this from his deep love of his wife and children. It must have been hard for him to give this lecture , but instead he thought of how other people would benefit from hearing it.



4 comments:

  1. Great post! I found this lecture to be very sad, as well : (

    He was extremely interesting and also inspiring. I am sure he was an amazing person and professor.

    You are right about the quote; It is something we should live by everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in some ways it is difficult to watch. But in others it is an inspiration. I watch it every semester. I always cry. But I always hear more things that I can try and do in EDM310. Set the bar higher! Don't let the brick walls get me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALEX does seem to be a definite "go to" source for teachers (new and experienced). Teachers keep learning....just like our students. I liked your thought of it being " a one stop shop". I agree that ACCESS is proving to be successful...what a huge increase in enrollment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex is very helpful source...i agree

    ReplyDelete