Wednesday, February 24, 2010

WEEK 7


"This is How We Dream" Richard Miller: Parts 1 and 2.

These were interesting videos but a lot to watch at one time. It was kind of distracting when images are popping up on screen and your trying to listen and take in what's going on visually. Blut what he is saying is that we will go from writing with paper and pencil to writing with multimedia. Richard Miller calls it the "new humanities", a technological convergence of visual, audible, textual, literacies that represent in his view the future of human communication.

We already as students do most of our research without stepping foot into the library. You can do your research using a Mac or whatever computer you have, write it, print it,add images, use a power point, whatever you want to do by having these resources at your fingertips. Then you can even post it on the web and reach more people than you ever would in print.

I hope as a teacher one day I can use all these resources available to me. And I hope I can get my student's to use these resources also. Since I will be teaching younger kids I don't know if it would be practical but I hope to somehow integrate this technology in my classroom.

Comments for Kids Week 7

I had a little girl named Jordana in Mrs. Kolbert's class. She had just written that she liked blogging and wanted some comments on how everyone else did. I just mentioned that blogging was new to me , but I did like it. I look forward to reading her posts in the future.

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

This is a true story of a teacher named Wendy Drexler and her high school student who is a student of connectivity. He is studying American Psychology and is working mainly of his own. Using a pln and social networking sights to gather information. He also uses blogs to learn and then he starts his own to report his findings.

I think this is a great idea for high school age students depending on how self motivated they are. This is similar to our own EDM310 class and I don't know how willing a student is to study on their own, but like the video says the plus is that he can access Itunes U
and learn from the best professors at the best universities.

Do we still need a teacher? I think we definitely do. We still need the teachr to help us when when we need support, and help organize the information. Maybe even for moral support. But most of all to keep the student on task.

Toward a New Future of Whatever by Michael Wesch

He started by talking about George Orwell's book 1984 and how this book challenged the youth of 1984 what are you going to do about being politically active? Nothing. We would have thought the media scape of today has changed the way students are engaging and becoming more politically active, but it hasn't. He used American Idol as an example. How we haved moved to suburbia and become disconnected. We have all relied on the television for information. And we think that being on T.V. is the only way to have a voice.

He says that our culture is ruled by trivialities and narcissism and we are disengaging. I think our culture is moving in this direction. We don't go out and talk to our neighbors we get on Facebook and talk. We don't go out and meet people anymore, we join Matchmaker websites. We don't even have to talk to someone we can just text. I hope we can prove Mr. Wesch wrong.

My Personal PLN

For my personal PLN I have my own blog and I have started using Twitter. I post to my blog and I comment on the other students blog also. Twitter is new for me and I'm trying to learn how to use it. I'm commenting and asking classmates to follow my account. I want to expand the people I follow and who follow me . I am also trying to follow some of the educators that are on Dr. Strange's PLN
Mr. McClung's World and Michael Fawcett.What Now? What Next? So What?

3 comments:

  1. Denise,

    I share your opinion that we will still need teachers, even after the kids are networked. You mentioned that the blogs, and such would be great for high school aged kids and I agree. But one point I just wanted to comment on was yours pertaining to the practicality of using the technology with younger kids. My daughters are 8 and 4, and have been exposed to many things this semester thanks to EDM310. I was actually curious about how this would fit with my 8 year old. She loved helping me with my presentation, which led to many other things. We logged onto Kaia's website and both of my girls loved looking at her pictures and searching for information on where she lives. Elizabeth (my 8 year old) left her a post, typing about half of it herself. She then wanted to make our own blog, which we started. if I could get it going, she would probably actively check it for posting from family and friends. We used the internet for her most recent project on a prominent figure in black history. It was cool to see her so excited about it. We listened to podcasts, printed photos embedded in postings, and did searches.

    If you could integrate some of those skills into the student's curriculum in a meaningful way, it would seem that they would really enjoy it.

    I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I have an eleven year old and I was thinking about including her in my blog assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you caught the pessimism in Dr. Wesch's presentation even though he tried to raise our hopes at the end. Good job!

    You appear to enjoy comments4kids. Are your also learning from those experiences?

    here are some more hints on PLNs and Twitter:
    Beth Still suggests this Instant PLN to create a list of teachers to follow. Also you should read this NY Times article Getting the Most Out of Twitter

    And be sure you look at David and Jacki's new blog Mathis Gorski EDM310 Projects

    You also cannot afford to miss Jackie's own personal account of her PLN development The Evolution of My PLN - Initial Post

    It does take time! That's why I had to get you started NOW!

    ReplyDelete