Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 5

Wikipedia

I didn't realize that someone could actually go into Wikipedia and change the information. I know my sixth grader uses it all the time for her reports and I guess we won't be using this as a resource any more. The things I learn in this class!! There is so much information out on the internet today sometimes I wonder what is and isn't true. You can't even trust the so called reliable sources, like the major news stations anymore because it's almost as if they have all changed their format to entertainment news. Any ideas for a reliable internet source since I won't be using Wikipedia anymore? According to an article I read supposedly Wikipedia has revised it's anyone can edit policy. I believe one day it will become reliable as a source of information but just like anything it needs to revamp some of it's policies.

2 comments:

  1. I use Wikipedia all the time. I am just cautious with living persons/entities/corporations. Generally, Wikipedia is an excellent, quick resource. You just have to keep your eyes open and your brain on. EVERYONE has a slant they are trying to sell you. Even me. So question everything! You point this out in your post. Just keep your brain on and your eyes open. ALL THE TIME! Question everyone and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that anyone could go to Wikipedia and change the information, but I never thought that things so major were being edited. I have used Wikipedia for many different things throughout my high school and college career, but now I think that I will be more careful about what I use as a resource.

    ReplyDelete