Saturday, February 13, 2010

Comments For Kids

I really enjoyed viewing the animoto and all the pictures in Mrs. She's class. Those kids are amazing. Especially since most opportunities are not available to them because of thier living conditions and because of this they are so eager to learn. They appreciate what most kids in the States take for granted. I had the student Elizabeth U. and she was adorable. She drew great pictures and I look forward to blogging to her more.

"What I've Learned This Year" By Mr. McClung.

This was a great blog and was very inspiring. I learned in my classroom management class that the four stages of teaching are Fantasy, Survival, Mastery, and Impact. I thought that was so funny but the more I talk to experienced teachers I think it's accurate. I love the fact that Mr. McClung saw that his version of teaching was not working and he made a change. My daughter has a sixth grade science teacher and the class is very advanced for sixth grade. Most of the kids are not doing well and the last test 75% of the class failed the test. The sad part is that if she changed the way she taught the class these kids would get it. Instead it's negativity and constantly blaming the kids. When something isn't working it's time to change the game plan and that's what Mr. McClung did. Also like Mr. McClung it's important for your student's to respect you and hopefully like you. You can still be a stern teacher and the student's will know that you care about them. I feel it's not only important for you as a teacher to teach but it's just as important to build self esteem.

2 comments:

  1. My daughters have a difficult time in school because they hear me talk about how I have changed my classroom to be about learning and not about grading. I'm not sure I have done them a service, especially on days my high school daughter is given a bunch of worksheets that require no thought.

    Don't forget the lesson your daughter's class is teaching you when you have your own class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The learning has really started for you! Great. We learn in lots of ways, and that is what is so exciting. Every day!

    I have been asked this week about grades and woke up early this morning thinking about what I will say. Mr. Chamberlain and I totally agree about grades (Actually about almost every aspect of teaching and learning.) Our focus should NOT be on grades but learning. And when it happens I am overjoyed!

    ReplyDelete