Monday, February 15, 2010

WEEK 6 February 21


I Tunes U

I never knew about Itunes U, I'm learning something new everyday.http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/ I think this would be really beneficial for teachers or professors to post lectures on similarly to the podcasts. Especially for kids that are ill or even online courses. This would be something I would use in the future for information for a paper or even if I was traveling to an area to check out the museums or locations before I go. I'm going to introduce this to my daughter to use in the future for papers etc. If she can actually visit a location on her ipod touch than she is going to get more out of this than looking at some pages in a book.
I think my son is using this at the University of Alabama for some of his classes. I also like the fact that this can be mobile learning. You can plug your ipod into your car or be on a treadmill and be learning and studying for a class. What will they think of next!

Duke at Itunes U

I think Duke University's program of using Ipods in the classroom is great. Here is the link to the article I readhttp://news.duke.edu/2005/12/ipodupdate.html. They even have gone so far as to give Ipods to students to use for each semester. They even created an Ipod Core Project team to teach students how to use thier Ipods, share ideas, and problem solve. Students would use thieir Ipods in a number of ways from downloading their lectures to enhance thier class notes to using them as a PDA and personal calendar to keep track of sporting events and even exams.

Getting the faculty and students to come together and use this digital initiative was successful. This experiment even showed how student behavior changed because of this experiment. Wearing both earbuds meant that the student wasn't to be disturbed. Wearing one earbud mean't that the student was listening to music but could engage in conversation. It is a way to be around alot of people but not have to interact socially. I think using the Ipod outside the classroom is a great way to learn. I'm working on trying to link my notes to my Ipod Touch so when I go walking or on the treadmill I can listen to them. This may take a while but I'm working on it.


Technology Literate Teachers


Ok I'm completely confused by this Wiki. I don't really know how to use a Wiki and hopefully I will learn how to add to the discussion. As a returning student I'm learning new things everyday about technology and becoming less scared to try new things. I'ts pretty bad when I have to call my son at college and ask him how to add a link to my post! But I think It's my responsibility to become technologically literate because my student's will be way more advanced than I am.
I that podcasting is great and our comments for kids in other countries is something I want my sixth grader to do now. The technology student's have at their fingertips today is incredible. I will be looking forward to incorporating these skills in my classroom.





1 comment:

  1. I, like you, had also never heard of iTunes U. I think it is a great idea and could be very useful, especially in the classroom. The ways they could use it are pretty much endless! I personally think I would be more interested in things such as museums or certain activities if I had the capability to see, learn and know a little more about them before I actually went there.
    I agree with you about the positivity of the program they have at Duke University. I have had technology for the majority of my life, so I am used to using it for entertainment as well as for learning. I find it so much easier and more interesting to use technology in the classroom.
    I have never used a Wiki, so I don't know much about them, but I do think that it is very important for teachers of this time to be technologically literate. I am very excited about learning how to, and being able to incorporate technology into my classroom!

    ReplyDelete