Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ken Robinson Blog

I really was dreading to watch this video because It was long and I thought It was going to be boring, but It was completely the opposite. This video was really funny and enlightening. I agree how schools kill creativity we are always taught to color within the lines and not be different. My children are lucky to go to schools where drama and theater and the arts have not been cut from the curriculum, but like Ken said in public school these classes are being phased out because of budget cuts or they are put at the bottom of the curriculum. As Ken says "We have been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers."
I think I have been guilty of this especially with my son. I have always taught him no matter how good you are at athletics or playing your guitar your not going to be a rock star or a professional athlete. He has always wanted to be a doctor and I don't know how many times I have told him to stop playing your guitar and study. Like the story he told about the woman that directed Cat's, how many kids have been put on adderall because they can't sit still and this woman is a prime example of a creative genius. This video will make me look and react to the kids I teach in the future in a different light.

1 comment:

  1. Long=boring That's what most students think. Probably as a result of all the lectures they have listened to (well, maybe not listened).

    Can't doctors also be good guitarists?

    ReplyDelete